Saturday, June 13, 2009

How to Pull Yourself Together after a Layoff

I am learning this myself. Interestingly, I am prone to experiencing too much stress normally, yet I have not stressed out much over the months that have passed since the Reduction In Force event hit me. It is important not to stress out, of course, not to succumb to excessive anxiety, because that such anxiety will paralyze you.

I am trying to figure out what I am doing right, for the benefit of humanity. I think that fatalism has arisen in me. Whatever will happen, whether I run out of unemployment, lose my house, my credit, everything, will happen regardless of my worry. My worry won't change a thing, except to get in the way of my potential success. That may be obvious. It's not an intellectual insight, it is something that has taken over my being. The thing I used to worry about when I was working has happened. The Worst Thing in the World. The End of the World as We Know It. Room 110. It's happened. Perhaps that is the thing: having passed through the singularity, the black hole, what more is there to scare me?

No comments:

Post a Comment